There's a Monster in Your Closet...and On Your Desk, Floor, Garage...
There's no denying it. Don't even try to avoid it. It's probably staring you down right now...
That's right: There's a monster in your midst, a monster we like to call Clutter. Clutter is a ruthless monster. Not only does it consume your valuable time and money, but it also weighs heavily on your mind. How so? Quite simply, Clutter:
• Turns the places where you work and live into stressful environments
• Makes you feel overwhelmed and even depressed as you stare at it and try to figure out the steps needed to rid it from your life
• Embarrasses you. You know the clutter that people see in your office and home is not represented of you or the way you live and work
So, how do you tame this beast, get organized and fix this clutter problem?
Before you start, remember there is no right or wrong way to battle this beast and get organized. Whatever works best for you is the answer. That said, to get you headed in the right direction, we have some tips that will help you start and continue your battle.
• Begin with the "big picture" in mind. Figure out your priorities, and it will be easier to identify key sources of clutter and organize your things.
• Use a planning and organizing system. Eliminate scraps of paper by keeping your calendars, schedules and to-do lists in a single binder or a file on your electronic device or computer.
• Invest time and plan de-cluttering activities for each day. Make it a time when you're least likely to be distracted.
• Make appointments with yourself. Schedule your filing time, for instance, in your organizer. Be sure to break down the process into smaller, more manageable segments.
• Batch the little things. It's most efficient to do routine chores such as reading mail and filing all at once so you can get on with your day.
• Keep your primary work area free of clutter so you can concentrate. Move your "in" box away from that area to minimize distractions.
• Sort your clutter into three categories: Keep, Trash and Donate/Sell. Don't be afraid to make the hard decisions when purging certain items-packrats beware!
The key is to be sure to keep the "big picture" in mind at all times. Following the steps provided here will certainly help you battle Clutter. Keep the monster at bay by starting your fight today!