Back-to-School Homework Tips
A little bit of planning goes a long way toward giving a child better homework habits.
There's no better time than back-to-school time to get this done.
Read on for tips on how it works:
1. First off, remember: by nature most kids excel at following patterns. For that
reason, they're more likely to learn decent time management habits if you create
easy homework routines they can follow.
2. Begin by getting your kids involved in the planning. (It's best to do this before
school begins, but really, anytime is the best time to get organized.)
3. Together, write out a list of their typical daily after-school activities. Use a
notebook, poster board, or even a dry erase board to create a chart in their rooms.
Include the usual things they do, or that you'd like them to do:
• play time
• extra-curricular activities
• family time
• sets of chores
• physical activity
• free reading
4. They have a lot going on! This list will serve as a daily reminder of all activities
for which they need to plan time. For pre-teens and teens you can assign actual
time segments for each activity. Now, create a weekly chart that lists their
activities, and allows them to put an X-mark or sticker after each activity is
5. You'll want to limit some activity time - such as "screen time" with gadgets or
video games - so be as detailed as possible. Don't leave any instructions open for
misinterpretation - it's always the best policy when you're dealing with kids.
6. If possible, list out homework activities in detail. Chart specific subjects they
study each day based on their school schedule. It will help them balance their
study time and ensure that no work slips through the cracks. Otherwise they might
avoid working on subjects they dislike.
Congratulations! You are now doing something for your kids that few parents make the
effort for: focusing their time into a clear and tangible picture. It's the first step to better
homework time management.
For more tips on student time management and other topics, check out the Day Runner Success Center and be sure to visit the Day-Runner store for the latest and
greatest time management tools and solutions.